Monday, January 7, 2008

Returning to Work

The echo of New Year's Eve is fading as we returned this past week to our schedule of work. Ray bundled up and headed to the office after more than a week off, and I added another layer against the chill of our old house and padded up the stairs to my writing nook. The first week of 2008 turned bitter cold in our usually temperate spot here in Richmond. It felt invigorating and appropriate for this writer, whose fictional setting in her current project is New England in the year 1846, when it was purported to be one of the coldest and snowiest winters in memory. Thoreau's friend, the poet Ellery Channing became lost in his Estabrook Woods as he was heading home one night by foot in a blizzard. Fortunately, he eventually found his way and lived to tell the tale!

Characteristic of our topsy-turvy climate, today it is suppose to reach 70 degrees! It is Monday, the 7th of January! I guess I will peel off that extra layer.

A great accomplishment this past week was the completion of my website. My "Web Master" Ray did a splendid job and will continue helping me maintain a current site. It is exciting to see the work I have been doing chronicled and made official. Hopefully, the website and this blog will prove stimulating on the creative front and, perhaps, even prove beneficial on the marketing end of things. I hope to get more commissions for personalized stories that I write and keep moving forward with the other projects in children's books and young adult fiction.

This new phase in my life is exciting. I am inspired by the many friends, women mostly, who have preceded me into "retirement" only to re-define themselves and do great things. From the teacher/scholars I once worked with, I now know political activists, writers and publishers, gourmet chefs, and entrepreneurs in business, as well as valued members on Boards that rely on their expertise and wisdom.

Often, too, with all this creative energy and fulfilling work come added responsibilities with caring for elderly parents, on the one hand, and welcoming grandchildren into their lives, on the other! I am amazed at the accumulated productivity of all these women I know.

With that thought, I close... and get to work!

Full Biography

Growing up outside Baltimore City, Maryland, I dreamed of becoming a teacher and writer. After earning degrees in English, theatre, and education I began my teaching career, mainly working in literary studies and drama with middle school girls.


Today, having left the classroom, I now work full time on writing. My first opus is dedicated to my brother Clinton Arrowood, whose last drawings before his death have served as inspiration. The Adventures of Elliott Clinton Rat: A Journey on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers is a young adult historical fiction set in Concord at the time of Thoreau, Hawthorne, Alcott and Emerson. They share the scene with a sensitive rat named Elliott. Other books in the works are also set in Concord during the late 1820's. Henry David Thoreau is a boy, and with his friend Lizzie Hosmer he manages to unravel a mystery or two.


Ever the teacher, I find myself naturally making connections with vocabulary, historical context, and dramatic action. Like the director of a play, I like to create movement, interaction and conflict when placing my characters in the scene.


I also write personalized stories for children and stories about my Springer spaniel, Bernadette Star. Go to EllenGaines.com to view "A Spaniel's Wonder."


Books by Ellen Gaines:
Evy and the Dance Recital
Lillie and the Wizard’s Wand
This Isa, This Izzy, This Isabel