Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Editing...

For many of you still involved in academic life, you may find this unbelievable. I like to edit. I actually enjoy it. When I was teaching, I would observe the horror on my students' faces as they received an essay back with RED MARKS everywhere. The blood on their pages blurred and smeared before their eyes into one HUGE "Oh-my-god-you-hated-it-didn't-you?" look as they gazed back up into my face. In fact, I loved it enough to want to make it better. Later, long after graduation, I had students return to their old teacher, me, and thank me for the time I had spent in reading and marking their work. (Thank YOU, Michael Glaser and Betty O and Michael Ouelllette, my English professors at St. Mary's College!)

Now that I find myself on the receiving end of red ink once more, I understand the need for it, and in fact, I respect the "love" that goes into someone's efforts to get through my prose and make constructive criticism for improvement. Writing is a solitary life validated when another writer or editor or publisher or agent cares enough to give you feedback about your work. For that matter, I am invigorated when a reader, someone who loves books and reading, gives me feedback. After all, it is the reader I will be seeking for approval when my novel is finally finished, so I'd best pay attention to what she likes!

I have been blessed this week to receive criticism from BOTH camps, a writer/publisher and a reader have read the beginning of my story and given me suggestions for making my manuscript better. The different perspectives of these people have led me to look at the manuscript with fresh eyes and do some word-smithing and editing. The result is better writing.

Thank you, Rhoda Trooboff and Tenley Circle Press! Thank you Emily Chewning!!

And now to my weekly poem...

Full Biography

Growing up outside Baltimore City, Maryland, I dreamed of becoming a teacher and writer. After earning degrees in English, theatre, and education I began my teaching career, mainly working in literary studies and drama with middle school girls.


Today, having left the classroom, I now work full time on writing. My first opus is dedicated to my brother Clinton Arrowood, whose last drawings before his death have served as inspiration. The Adventures of Elliott Clinton Rat: A Journey on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers is a young adult historical fiction set in Concord at the time of Thoreau, Hawthorne, Alcott and Emerson. They share the scene with a sensitive rat named Elliott. Other books in the works are also set in Concord during the late 1820's. Henry David Thoreau is a boy, and with his friend Lizzie Hosmer he manages to unravel a mystery or two.


Ever the teacher, I find myself naturally making connections with vocabulary, historical context, and dramatic action. Like the director of a play, I like to create movement, interaction and conflict when placing my characters in the scene.


I also write personalized stories for children and stories about my Springer spaniel, Bernadette Star. Go to EllenGaines.com to view "A Spaniel's Wonder."


Books by Ellen Gaines:
Evy and the Dance Recital
Lillie and the Wizard’s Wand
This Isa, This Izzy, This Isabel